Wednesday, April 11, 2012

HBC Attempt #3 - Oatmeal Cookies

Every standard cookbook has an Oatmeal Cookie recipe, and the Hershey Bears Cookbook is no exception.  Each variant is a bit different - every author or editor likes to include their own little unique bit of flair.  My mother's been looking for a good oatmeal cookie recipe for a while, so it seemed like a solid idea to test this one out.  It looks like I'll be able to put her out of her misery.

Oatmeal Cookies (HBC-Style)
The recipe is credited to Patrick McNeill, one of the current stars of the Hershey defense department.

Notes:  In general, it's a very straight-forward recipe.  The only noticeable thing that was left out was the size of cookies/dough to place in the oven.  I went with 2 inch / 5cm diameter flattened discs (before baking).

They bake up beautifully in exactly the specified time (10 minutes), but you're going to want to let them cool on the pan for about 5 minutes after you take them out of the oven before attempting to move them to a cooling rack.  It takes that long for them to harden up - otherwise, you'll end up with mangled cookies.  They still taste good, but don't present (or pack) nearly as well.

Substitutions: The basic dough is well enough balanced/mild enough that you can work in just about any small piece dried fruit if you're not a raisin fan.  I ended up using dried cranberries (I swear, I have raisins somewhere), and they tasted great.

Yield: I ended up with 39 cookies, and I suspect with a bit of judicious standardization I could have ended up with 40.  Minimum ballpark is 3 dozen 3"/8cm cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment